CyberGhost claims to be the best VPN service out there and you will find a lot of users saying it makes good on all the promises. However, the VPN service is also often talked about in a negative light.
We got a chance to get our hands on CyberGhost Premium and used it for a while to gauge the pros and cons.
In this CyberGhost VPN review, we’ll have a look at this VPN provider in detail and conclude if it’s worth a try or not.
What is CyberGhost VPN?
It’s a VPN provider that lets you browse the web without being caught. You can bypass geo-restrictions, enjoy censored content, and be on the web without any worries. The VPN is said to be powered by over 15 years of expertise and is available on a variety of devices. Let’s get to know about the features in detail this CyberGhost VPN review:
CyberGhost VPN Features
CyberGhost is feature-rich. Let’s have a critical look at what all it can do:
The Servers: The VPN provider is present in over 55 countries and offers more than 3,700 servers to choose from. We used a few servers including US and European servers and they all worked well. The company also offers some less popular options like Pakistan and Moldova.
However, not all servers may be suitable for all kinds of activities. For example, servers in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom did not support Netflix streaming.
The Location: Founded in 2011, it is being run by a team of 55 members in Bucharest, Romania. The company was recently acquired by Crossrider Limited, owned by an Israeli businessman, Robert Knapp, and has over 15 million active users. The deal, worth €9.2 million, was closed in 2017.
The location is of huge importance as the VPN Is away from the watchful eyes of 14 Eyes with no risk of your data reaching unsafe hands or intelligence agencies.
The Speed: We used multiple servers and were quite surprised by the overall speed. It did not affect our download or upload speeds but some servers were a bit slow.
This, however, should not be a problem since you have a wide number of options to choose from.
The Security: It supports a variety of protocols including IPSec, L2TP, and OpenVPN. Moreover, it’s known to offer the highest level of security, AES-256 encryption, which is the same level of security that the government uses.
The company follows a strict no logging policy and keeps no log of your data. It is also not known to keep timestamps, session details, or IP addresses. We tried several tests and found the service to be reliable as it uses leak protection to ensure your original IP stays hidden.
The Compatability: The VPN works on almost all devices including iOS, Mac, Android, and Windows. We used it on computers and mobile devices and the results were impressive in both cases.
You can, in fact, create a custom connection with your routers or Linux devices. The process, however, requires a bit of experience and skills.
The Customer Service: The company has gone through some major changes and if you have used CyberGhost in the past, you will be surprised by how much more it has to offer now in terms of customer support.
You can get in touch with the company by using the live chat feature where waiting times are not horrible and customer agents are friendly and knowledgeable.
If this is not your cup of tea, you may also opt to write an email. They usually respond within 24 hours.
CyberGhost Pricing and Plans
The cheapest plan starts for as low as $2.75 and is billed $99 every 3 years. It’s suitable only if you’re serious about using the service for a long period as it only offers a 45-day money back guarantee. Otherwise, you may opt for a monthly plan that goes for as low as $12.99/month and comes with a 14-day money back guarantee. There’s also a yearly plan starting for as low as $5.99/month, charged $71.88 for the year. It also comes with a 45-day money back guarantee. You can also avail a 1-day trial to know how it works. Overall, the company appears to be quite expensive.
CyberGhost Review – The Pros:
- Server Selection: The VPN lets you choose the right server based on your requirements. This is a great feature. Go to the official site, enter what you wish to do, and it will provide you a list of suggested servers with details such as physical distance, user load, and ping time.
- Kill Switch: The Kill Switch feature ensures you stay protected even if you lose your connection. It automatically kills all connections, in case of connection issues, so that your real IP or location is not leaked out.
- Special Netflix Server: CyberGhost is one of the few VPNs out there with a dedicated Netflix server. It keeps on changing its IP address so that there’s no risk of being caught by Netflix.
- Various Uses: You can browse and stream without any difficulty as a large number of servers support Netflix and torrenting. Other than this, proxy services and TOR also work.
- Multiple Connections: CyberGhost is one of the few VPNs to offer seven simultaneous connections. This is a welcome change triggered by the acquisition of the company as it did not earlier offer multiple connections.
We tried to run the app simultaneously on seven different devices and had no trouble in connecting or browsing.
CyberGhost Review – The Cons:
- The Cost: CyberGhost is good but you will find cheaper options available out there.
- The Image: CyberGhost does not enjoy a very good image. It was even once found to be using session recording scripts on their site. In fact, they were even criticized and found to be collecting user information through third-party tools.
- The Owners: The acquisition may sound like a good idea on paper, but the new owners, Kape, have been under fire for being involved in producing malware.
CyberGhost Review: FAQ
- Can I download CyberGhost free?
The company offers 1-day free trial. If it is not enough you can sign up for CyberGhost Premium and request refunds if you’re not happy with the service.
- Will CyberGhost work on Firestick?
Yes, it does. In fact, it is one of the few VPNs out there that can be directly downloaded to Firestick. You can download the app from Amazon store, make a free account, and enjoy a free trial after which you will have to sign up for the service.
- Can CyberGhost be trusted?
The company is not how it was a few years ago. The owners have changed. It has better features and more options today. However, it still appears risky since the new owners do not have a very good market image and have been involved in different cases.
- How does CyberGhost work?
CyberGhost works like any other VPN program. You can download the app on your device and connect to your required server. It also offers a free Chrome extension.
- What does CyberGhost do?
CyberGhost can hide your IP address, provide you with a high level of encryption, offer you WiFi protection, and ensures you can have safe transactions by choosing from over 3700 servers to enjoy even blocked content.
Other than this, it can even block ads and prevent malicious content from harming your computer.
- What should I use CyberGhost for?
Since it may not be a very secure option, you should be careful about using it. It is best to use it only if you wish to access banned content as it supports Netflix, etc.
- When can I use CyberGhost?
You can use it right away! However, it’s better to wait for a little while. Most negative news regarding the company is old. We haven’t heard anything negative since the acquisition (2017) but it’s still better to wait a little more.
CyberGhost Review: What Do We Recommend?
All in all, it looks like a great tool to use as it offers a bunch of amazing features, including some features that are not available on most similar VPNs. However, despite all this, it can be a bit difficult to trust the company given the rumors surrounding it. Plus, it’s also very expensive.